Polish Polar Station in Hornsund
The Polish Polar Station Hornsund was built in 1957 in South Spitsbergen, in the region often called “Gate to the Arctic“. The location is very favourable for multidisciplinary research and monitoring of geophysical fields and polar environment. Nearby glaciers are studied by manifold methods and comprise an international research site for better understanding of their state and interactions with climate. The Station has been named after Professor Stanislaw Siedlecki. This modern scientific platform composed of a few buildings and other infrastructure operates year-round since 1978 being managed by the Institute of Geophysics PAS.